Monday, April 12, 2010

Take Two of the Floating Seeds

In case you just tuned in, I am trying to replicate a seed study done by Charles Darwin to help me with a story I am writing about seeds. Darwin was trying to determine how long seeds could float in salt water and still grow into a healthy plant. The results of his work helped him build evidence that supported his theory of evolution. In other words seeds could travel on their own and adapt to new environments.

Travel and adapt to a new environment? Hold on, isn't this what we have done moving to South Bend? Anyway back to the project.

I had to made my salt water (because we don't have any here). In case you want to try your own seed project you need to use approximately 1/2 cup salt to a gallon of water to get to the levels of sea water. Then you need to pick the seeds you want to use for your experiment. Pour them into the water and your experiment is on it's way. Now you need to collect your observations. Are the seeds floating, sinking or falling to pieces? As they soak for a few days are there any changes, odors, slimy coats? And then finally, after 10 days in the water will they grow after you plant them? What about after 15 days or more? In theory, the longer they can soak and then germinate, the further they could travel. Darwin gathered they could travel near 30 miles a day by ocean currents.

TO ALL MY WEST COAST FOLLOWERS How about giving this experiment a try with real ocean water? I would love to see your results. You can email me your results or write them in the comments so they can be featured in the blog. The more data the better my professors always said. Although I don't think they thought I would be studying seeds.

My seeds are floating now and I am planning to video them for all to see for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment