Thursday, April 15, 2010

Look at Those Seeds




I was hoping to post a video of the seeds but the import option does not seem to be working (or the user is not sure what she is doing). I was able to make some still shots so here are the seeds, floating and resting on the bottom of their salt bath.
Picture one Radish Seeds, Picture two Cabbage Seeds, Picture three Side view of both salt baths.

Observations/Actions: I added a little water to keep the water level the same and to maintain the salt/water ratio. When I did this for the cabbage seeds even more dropped to the bottom. I am not so sure how these seeds would fair on the ocean surface. They would need to be held up by sea foam or kelp. As for the radish seeds, they mostly stayed on the surface when water was added. I also noticed that the radish seeds look slightly enlarged, perhaps taking on a slight film or slime coat. (Just as predicted.) This is a detail in the story so I am glad to see it happening in the experiment. No odor yet, at least that I can smell.

1 comment:

  1. Don't some seeds sprout just in water, like, beans? Wonder what would happen if you tossed them in water. lol. not relevant to your experiment at all, I know... :D

    ReplyDelete