Saturday, April 10, 2010

Neologism Galore

In my field of psychology when an adult makes their own words with their own meaning it is not a good sign. But when a five year old decided to make their own it is not only amusing it is creative.

As my family story goes when I was about five I was resting under an apricot tree when along came a helicopter. So it is no stretch that I called it an 'apricopter'. This one I think falls along the amusing line but I don't see a future for this word. 'Lasternight' however, also one of my five year old creations, could be useful. I mean we do say yesterday, so why not 'lasternight'.

My five year old has started to make some of his own and here I see real potential. He is quite fond of big words and started to use gigantic. It soon became 'gigantical' which still means big but magical too. Pretty good isn't it? And the best part of neologisms, the spelling is all up to the maker! I love that.

Would love to here about any neologisms you or your kids have come up with. I could see a story coming out if this.

AS FOR THE SEEDS... we will be starting the soak today and will get back to data collection tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment