Monday, April 19, 2010

It is Not Just Me, Even Julia Child Didn't Like It

For years I have had to kindly apologize when a friend served me a dish with the dreaded cilantro. "I have an allergy" I have tried or "It tastes like soap to me". Cilantro lovers, just look at you like you are high maintenance or just a pain in the ass. But in this weeks New York Times, Harold McGee reports that Julia Child had two foods she hated, arugula and yes that's right, cilantro.

I feel so much better knowing the great Julia has this same problem. In fact, it got me wondering, maybe this is even why she became a chef. I mean, what better way to make sure the disgusting stuff never gets near your plate. I think she had the right idea, stick with French food that never included cilantro even if there were no herbs left on the planet.

What about you? Does it taste like soap or a gift from the gods?

4 comments:

  1. Mmm... Cilantro... Interesting about Julia. But more interesting that you think cilantro tastes like soap. Apparently someone used too many cuss words when she was small...

    --Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE cilantro. Just the smell of it makes me happy. But good to know you're not a fan so I don't use it in the snacks we'll be having on the porch with our drinks someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny Karyn, and Alison, looking forward to the porch. BTW, Anne Lemott did give up drinking so I have to rethink the wine suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEFINITELY a gift from the gods. It's my favorite herb and, in fact, it was in my shrimp and linguine stir-fry tonight! Bon Appetit. :)

    ReplyDelete