Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Cabbage Research Begins

Ok, so maybe the order of things isn't right but I my Cabbage seed story is stalled so I am finally getting to the research I should have done from the start.

Story? Seeds?

I have written a story about seeds floating from one body of land to another and how they managed to get there despite, despite, despite. This story was inspired by some of the research of Charles Darwin. Darwin soaked seeds and plants with their seeds to see how long they could float in salt water and still germinate and grow into a healthy plant. These soaking seed studies were just some of the things Darwin did prior to publishing his theory of evolution.

So back to my home version of the study. My son and I have picked out two of the plastic pots we previously used to dye Easter Eggs and have put home make salt water in both. We then put the cabbage seeds in the green pot and radish seeds in the pink one. And the project is on. Will they float, will they hold together, will they start to smell funny and grow strange slimie coats? We will find out soon.

April 4

The seeds were dropped in the water around 12 noon and the first quite upsetting observation was that most of the cabbage seeds fell to the bottom of the pot. This is not exactly what I thought would happen. This detail would change my story for sure. The radish seeds were much better. More of them stayed on the water surface. There isn't much more to report at this time. So tune in to find out what will happen to the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment