Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Doctor and the Diva by Adrienne McDonnell


I know I don't usually review historical novels but this one you can't miss. First of all, I know the author because she was my creative writing professor at UC Berkeley. Secondly it is just a great book. Despite the full schedule I carry and the kids I couldn't put it down. I don't' think I can describe it more eloquently than the many reviews The Doctor and the Diva is getting so I will post and link to her site and some of the reviews she has recieved. But if you are looking for a beautiful story with a pace that makes it difficult to put down, this is a great one. I felt as if I had gone on a long vacation and fell in love when the last page had been read.


"Some novels just naturally enslave you, and this is one of them.... serious and gripping... [a] brilliant debut novel..." -- The Washington Post

"This amazing debut novel ... is, quite simply, one of the best novels I've read all year." -- an Editor's Choice selection, Historical Novels Review

"...sumptuous... [an] explosive tale... Read the book now, then place bets on when the movie version will come out." -- Redbook

Here's a link to the Washington Post review of THE DOCTOR AND THE DIVA, if you're interested:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/05/AR2010080506415.html


Or visit her website: www.adriennemcdonnell.com

Let me know if you have read the book.
Megan

1 comment: