Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What not to Blog About

Coming home from the local pool I was pulled over by the French police. Not one, not two but five. I wasn't the only one and yes I guess I was going 70 km in a 50 km area but really five police? No passport and not enough euros to pay the fine on the spot. What is an American to do? Thankfully one of the officers spoke English. She and the others were wearing full on police gear including guns and bullet proof vests. Sweat pored off the women's face. Had she been alone I think she would have sent me on her way but with the small army I needed to pay the price. 
"Ninty euros" she said, to make this be done."
"But I only have 20, we were at the pool, it's all I have, and my drivers license."
"Where are you staying" she asked
"souvenuy"
"Ok we keep your id and you go home to get the euros." (Not making this up.)
Now a sense of fear and relief comes over me. I can go get the cash. 90 euros? That's about100 us dollars. Well that sucks, but look they aren't arresting me. I should be happy. So I zipped home, actually I crawled home, no more zipping from now on, and got the cash. I had to borrow from Calum who still has his spending trip money but at least I had the cash. They said it had to be exact amount, could not make changes. (Again not making this up.)

Now back at the scene the police officer made me get out of my car. They couldn't understand my license, needed the license number and my address. They also wanted to know where I was born.
"Texas in the US I said."
Still wanted more info, "the city too."
Afterwords they had me sign the ticket, and hand over the cash and then they said with a kind of French smile, 
"Ok,it is all done".
Just glad they didn't yell at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment